Figure 4: Other Systems Using Health Data
tively work on any vendor’s operational system—
platforms like SMART on FHIR offer great promise.
For all these layers of systems to work in an efficient manner,
the quality and integrity of the initial data must be ensured.
The role of HIIM professionals in data accuracy, accessibility,
consistency, precision, and timeliness enables and supports
all health information systems and ensures they are used to
improve patient care. ¢
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National
Center for Health Statistics home page. www.cdc.gov/
2. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Data.CMS.
gov home page. https://data.cms.gov.
3. American Hospital Association. Home page. www.aha.org.
4. Partners Healthcare. Informatics for Integrating Biology
and the Bedside home page. www.i2b2.org.
5. Partners Healthcare. “Data Sharing Network (SHRINE).”
6. Health Level Seven. “ Welcome to FHIR.” FHIR Release 3
7. SMART. “An App Platform for Healthcare.” https://sm-
Bunyamin Ozaydin ( email@example.com) is an assistant professor, Shannon H. Houser ( firstname.lastname@example.org) is an associate professor, and Ferhat
D. Zengul ( email@example.com) is an assistant professor at the University of
Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Health Services Administration.
Figure 3: Health Information System Categories