point in time there is no national collection system for accomplishing that task.
Given the importance of health plans to our economy and society, the PHDSC is striving for more states to utilize the Payer
Typology. States can improve the ability of using administrative
data to support analyses of the impact of the Affordable Care
Act (ACA) and other state and federal initiatives in which the
type of payer may have an impact on cost, quality, and access
to care. The Payer Typology provides a critical data point for the
linkage of patients, care delivery, payers, and payments. ¢
1. Public Health Data Standards Consortium. “Payer Typology Sub-Committee.” www.phdsc.org/standards/payer-
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Public
Health Information Network Vocabulary Access and
Distribution System.” https://phinvads.cdc.gov/vads/
ViewValueSet.action?oid= 2. 16.840.1.114184.108.40.20691.
3. Khan, Hetty. “The Source of Payment Typology, A National
Standard.” Presentation to ASC X12, September 29, 2015.
4. PHDSC. “Source of Payment Typology Code Set—
Implementation by States.” 2009. www.PHDSC.org/standards/
pdfs/PHDSCPayment Typology WhitePaper_final.pdf.
5. Jiang, J. and B. Rudolph. “HCUP Partner Workgroup
– Source of Payment: An Update on Annual Data Assessment Results and Partner Discussions, Agency for
Healthcare Research and Quality.” Webinar. August 11,
6. Rudolph, Barbara. “Source of Payment Typology: Options for the Future.” Working paper for the Payer Typology Committee (internal use). 2017.
Barbara Rudolph ( Barbara.Rudolph@chsra.wisc.edu) is a senior scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Hetty Khan (Hkhan@
cdc.gov) is a health informatics scientist at the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics. Starla
Ledbetter ( Starla.Ledbetter@oshpd.ca.gov) is the chief data officer
in the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development for the
State of California.
| ANALYZING | IMPROVING | OPTIMIZING ADVANCING PATIENT MATCHING — ONE INDIVIDUAL AT A TIME
Just Associates’ Data Integrit olutions combine
professional services and advanced technolog o
identif nd resolve duplicate medical records and
their causes. IDManage®, our outsourced MPI
management service, provides ongoing resolution
of duplicates to prevent future data qualit ssues.
www.JustAssociates.com | 303-693-4727
Provider Master Clean-Up
Ongoing MPI Management
Data Integrity Consulting