covered the identity of the Golden State Killer. HIM professionals are the privacy experts in the health record and
can serve as a knowledge expert to navigate the serious
privacy issues that are emerging in this space.
Apple entered the healthcare market with Apple Health
Records on March 29, 2018 with 12 health systems and 27
more ready to launch the service. 12
Blockchain technology is being researched for use in the
Virtual reality is being used to help addicts in recovery.
Avatars are being used in some settings to allow mental
health patients to have remote group therapy.
There is speculation that Walmart may acquire Humana,
and it is uncertain how that will impact the industry.
Telemedicine continues to expand, which then expands
the opportunities for enterprising HIM professionals.
This is just a glimpse of the changes occurring in healthcare
that can open new and exciting opportunities for the HIM professional. ¢
1. AHIMA. “Overview.” Health Informatics webpage. www.
2. IBM. “The Four V’s of Big Data.” IBM Big Data and Analytics Hub. www.ibmbigdatahub.com/infographic/four-vs-big-data.
3. Institute for Healthcare Improvement. “The IHI Triple
4. Comstock, Jonah. “Apple reveals 39 hospitals to launch
Apple Health Records.” Healthcare IT News. March 29,
5. Sood, Harpreet S., David Bates, and Aziz Sheikh. “
Leveraging Health Information Technology to Achieve the Triple
Aim.” The Commonwealth Fund. January 5, 2016. www.
6. Kimmel, Kathleen. “How Analytics Will Help You Achieve
the Triple Aim.” Health Catalyst. www.healthcatalyst.com/
7. Miller, Holly and Lucy Johns. “Interoperability of Electronic Health Records: A Physician-Driven Redesign.”
Managed Care. January 1, 2018. www.managedcaremag.
8. ExploreHealthCareers.org. “Informatics Overview.”
9. Office of Inspector General. “Data Analytics.” https://oig.
10. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. “What is
11. Siwicki, Bill. “Special Report: AI voice assistants making an
impact in healthcare.” Healthcare IT News. February 1, 2018.
12. Comstock, Jonah. “Apple reveals 39 hospitals to launch
Apple Health Records.”
Prepared By (2018 Update)
Angela Campbell, RHIA
Sandra Hernandez, MSMIS, RHIA, CPHI, CCS, CHC
Shannon Houser, PhD, MPH, RHIA, FAHIMA
Dawn Paulson, MJ, RHIA, CHPS
Mari Pirie-St. Pierre, RHIA, CPHI
Barbara Ryznar, MSHI, RHIA, CHDA, CPHI, RPH, CPHIMS
Clarice Smith, RHIA, CHP
Jami Woebkenberg, MHIM, RHIA, CPHI
Julie Wulf Plimpton, MSHI, RHIA, CPHI
Acknowledgements (2018 Update)
Patty Buttner, MBS/HCM, RHIA, CDIP, CHDA, CPHI, CCS
Tammy Combs, RN, MSN, CCS, CCDS, CDIP
Melanie Endicott, MBA/HCM, RHIA, CDIP, CHDA, CPHI,
CCS, CCS-P, FAHIMA
Wendy James, RHIA, PMP
Lesley Kadlec, MA, RHIA, CHDA
Donna Rugg, RHIT, CDIP, CCS-P, CCS
Amanda Wickard, MBA, RHIA, CPHI
Prepared By (Original)
Julie A. Dooling, RHIA, CHDA
Kim Osborne, RHIA, PMP
Lou Ann Wiedemann, MS, RHIA, CDIP, CHDA, CPEHR,
Cecilia Backman, MBA, RHIA, CPHQ, FHIMSS
Linda Bailey-Woods, RHIA, CPHIMS
Jill S. Clark, MBA, RHIA, CHDA, FAHIMA
Angela Dinh Rose, MHA, RHIA, CHPS, FAHIMA
Marsha Dolan, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Katherine Downing, MA, RHIA, CHPS, PMP
Leah A. Grebner, PhD, RHIA, CCS, FAHIMA
Judi Hofman, BCRT, CHPS, CAP, CHP, CHSS
Beth Just, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Lesley Kadlec, MA, RHIA
Susan Lucci, RHIA, CHPS, CHDS, AHDI-F
Stephanie Luthi-Terry, MA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Rosann M. O’Dell, D.H.Sc., MS, RHIA, CDIP
Cindy C. Parman, CPC, CPC-H, RCC
Kathleen Paterson, MS, RHIA, CCS
Harry B. Rhodes, MBA, RHIA, CHPS, CDIP, CPHIMS, FAHIMA
Dan Rode, MBA, CHPS, FHFMA, FAHIMA
Bryanna Schoeffel, RHIA
Diana Warner, MS, RHIA, CHPS, FAHIMA
Traci Waugh, RHIA, CHPS, CHC